Omega-3 fatty acids are essential fatty acids that are required for normal functioning of the body. Since essential fatty acids like EFAs are not made in the body, we need to acquire them from our diet. Foods such as fish, salmon, tuna, some plants and nut oils contain Omega-3 fatty acids.
Omega-3 fatty acids – Vital for weight loss
Popularly known as polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs), omega-3 fatty acids help in weight loss. Research studies show that people, who include omega-3 in their diet along with sticking to a proper diet and exercise regimen, have greater chances of losing weight. The ways in which omega-3 fatty acids aid in weight loss are mentioned below.
- Omega-3 helps in lowering your insulin levels. This proves beneficial because lowered insulin levels means that you are able to manage your appetite. Therefore you tend to consume lesser calories. Lowered insulin levels throughout the day means that a large amount of body fat is being utilized as fuel.
- Increased levels of Omega-3 help in effective flow of blood to the muscles when you exercise. This leads to burning large amount of fat, thereby resulting in weight loss.
- Consuming foods rich in Omega-3 helps in keeping your blood sugar levels under control. When your blood sugar levels are under control, you have lesser hunger pangs. Having lesser hunger pangs means you tend to eat less. This automatically helps in weight loss.
- Water retention is another major role played by omega-3. It improves functioning of kidneys. Having healthy kidneys means that your body is able to do away with toxins, which helps you lose weight easily.
- Omega-3 fatty acids help in boosting your metabolism. People having slow rate of metabolism are vulnerable to fat storage, which results in weight gain. Including Omega-3 in your diet will enhance your metabolic rate. These foods also have the ability to burn fat.
Besides, helping in weight loss, Omega-3 fatty acids also help in reducing cholesterol and diabetes.Here are some benefits of Omega-3 fatty acids:-
- Omega-3 fatty acids are becoming increasingly popular these days as they aid in reducing the risk of heart disease.
- According to the American Heart Association, eating fish, particularly fatty fish such as mackerel, lake trout, herring, sardines, albacore tuna, and salmon at least twice a week lowers the risk of chronic diseases like cancer and arthritis.
- Omega-3 fatty acids play an important role in brain function. Omega-3 fatty acids are focused in the brain and are vital for brain memory and performance.
- Including omega-3 fatty acids in your diet will help in improving bone health, skin, hair and nails.
- Omega-3 reduces arthritis and joint pains. It helps in reducing pains caused due to two kinds of arthritis namely, rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis. Omega-3 aids in getting relief from joint stiffness.